Tag Archives: squeezebox

Notes on RPizeBox Display

I’ve got a nice scrolling script and had to hack pylms to get it to cope with accents.

This meant uninstalling the pylms module and referencing it instead with

from pylms.server import Server # to talk to LMS server
from pylms.player import Player # to talk to LMS player

That meant I could hack away at the code and it would still work.

I kept trying to find a way to intialise the display on boot.  I had little success.  I even made a start/stop script at /etc/init.d/lms-display in the hope it would get the display restarting on boot, but no dice.  In the end I found that

@reboot root /etc/init.d/lms-display start

in crontab did the job.

Squeezebox Frustration prompts action…

I sold my broken squeezebox on ebay.  It turns out it was just the power supply.  How incredibly frustrating.

So I decided to work on getting my RPi LMS a display.  Notes.

https://github.com/WiringPi/WiringPi2-Python to install wiringPi for my LCD display, but it wouldn’t compile. Neither would https://github.com/WiringPi/WiringPi-Python.

https://github.com/WiringPi/WiringPi-Python/issues/7 fixed this and I compiled WiringPi2.

I had much more success with this
and could read what was playing on the SqueezeLite with no issues at all.

# Proof of concept - needs to be run as sudo
import wiringpi2 as wp

from pylms.server import Server
from pylms.player import Player

# set up the display
lcd = wp.lcdInit (2, 16, 4, 11,10 , 0,1,2,3,0,0,0,0) ;from pylms.player import Player

# connect to the squeezebox
sc = Server(hostname="", port=9090)
sl = sc.get_player("b8:27:eb:eb:37:68")

#clear the lcd
wp.lcdPosition(lcd, 0, 0)
wp.lcdPosition(lcd, 0, 1)

So that is a start – now to make it update when the track changes and to scroll the titles.  And…. And…

Adding Squeezelite to SqueezboxServer on Rpi

Our squeezebox classic has died for as yet unidentified reasons.  I have already rebuilt it once using my original post as a guide after my dodgy self made RPi case rebooted it once too often.

To get spotify on my RPi (armel) version I used this with some tweaks:

[Tutorial] Squeezelite up and running on Raspbian Wheezy HF:

  • I had to download  the armel version of the binary
  • wget http://squeezelite.googlecode.com/files/squeezelite-armv6hf

  •  I think that there is a bug in the start/stop script – I had to remove the ” — $DAEMON” line from the start command for some reason before it would work.