Please note that this is now obsolete – see
For a better way. The below is left for reference.
I tried this once, but fell down when I got to the spotify bit because I had the wrong version of debian. This post is just personal notes of how I progressed the second time.
- Downloaded and sent the armel version of Raspbian Wheez (torrent) to the SD CARD for my Raspberry Pi.
- It didn’t boot. I did some research and found that I probably needed to change the start.elf file in /boot for the version in the non armel version. I used this post to mount the img file I had used the time I got stuck and pulled the start.elf out of it.
- It then booted. I left it running and did the rest using teraterm. ALT+V to paste and TeraTerm copes nicely with multiple lines of commands.
- Followed this guide for installing, which was simply these commands in order, some (particularly the dist-upgrade in step 1) take a long time. Thank you very much mystery poster (you may not need the commands in red, see later*):
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install libjpeg8 libpng12-0 libgif4 libexif12 libswscale2 libavcodec53
sudo dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_7.7.2_all.deb
sudo service logitechmediaserver stop
tar -zxvf lms-rpi-raspbian.tar.gz
sudo mv arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.14/
sudo mv libmediascan.so.0.0.0 libfaad.so.2.0.0 /usr/local/lib
sudo mv /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/arm-linux/faad /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/arm-linux/faad.old
sudo mv faad /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/arm-linux
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libmediascan.so.0.0.0 /usr/local/lib/libmediascan.so
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libmediascan.so.0.0.0 /usr/local/lib/libmediascan.so.0
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libfaad.so.2.0.0 /usr/local/lib/libfaad.so
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libfaad.so.2.0.0 /usr/local/lib/libfaad.so.2
- The logitech media server was now up and running, but with no music. I had to mount my music from a windows machine next.
sudo mkdir /mnt/music
sudo nano /etc/fstab
- I then added the following to my /etc/fstab with my server IP.
//192.168.0.6/music /mnt/music cifs username=user,password=xxxxxx,workgroup=HOME,users,auto,user_xattr 0 0
(then CTRL-X followed by Y to save the file)
- It didn’t work. It turns out that the windows server needed some registry tweaks and a reboot.
- In HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management, set the LargeSystemCache key to 1 (hex).
- In HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters, set the Size key to 3 (hex).’
- It was all working now, I set up Logitech Media Server, it scanned the folder on the network and now music plays on my squeezebox.
- I logged in to the settings and disabled nearly all the services since I hardly use any. I left Extension Downloader and added the third party add on for Spotify in addition to the official spotify one (I also have a Squeezebox Radio). The 3rd party plugin took ages to appear.
- Next I wanted to get the spotify to work. This was where I had come to a halt last time, but it was as easy as installing the 3rd Party plugin and entering my username and password for spotify premium. Easy.
- Now I wanted to have my cake and eat it, and install the Pi as the squeezebox player too. The All Things Pi blog has instructions for that too, but there are some small errors and one step I didn’t need to do. I didn’t need
apt-get install alsa-base
- because the alsa-base was already installed.
- All the remaining commands worked fine but only if I prefaced them with “sudo”. But the player did not appear right away. It turned out that I needed an armel version. I used it to replace the one in
/usr/local/sbin/and it came up right away.
- *The BBC iPlayer did not initally work. With a nudge from “bpa” I tried replacing the new faad file with the faad.old, and BBC iPlayer worked right away. I wonder how many of the steps I could take out.
2 thoughts on “Raspberry Pi as squeezebox server (logitech media server) with Spotify”
The squeezeslave working and I could not work out why. I backed out the installation and followed these instructions, adapted for armel and the latest versions to get it all running again.
This is now obsolete, see