Now I have the proof of concept for the RPi, I wanted to improve the code and have long term plans to make it remember tracks we skip, as well as allowing a blacklist! I wanted to keep some sort of version control, and this is where git comes in. I have been aware of git for a while but don’t really know much about it.
I now have created my own git hub for RPizeBox at https://github.com/thomaswwp/RPizeBox. I also forked PyLMS (which appears to be abandoned) and will eventually include it in my build as a module, rather than simply importing the code.
I have reduced the code to two scripts, but this looks like it has increased the CPU overhead to about 6%, so I may revert to what I had before.
I have also made a Fritzing diagram of the setup for future reference.
I also found that the skip forward button was broken on the remote, so just remapped other buttons.
The RPizeBox is great, but there are two main issues:
- The audio quality is as good as you would expect for the RPi, which is known for dodgy audio on the analogue 3.5mm plug (popping and fluttering). Not sure if this is fixable.
- The python script goes bonkers after being on pause for ages. I guess this is my dodgy code.
Our squeezebox classic has died for as yet unidentified reasons. I have already rebuilt it once using my original post as a guide after my dodgy self made RPi case rebooted it once too often.
To get spotify on my RPi (armel) version I used this with some tweaks:
[Tutorial] Squeezelite up and running on Raspbian Wheezy HF:
- I had to download the armel version of the binary
- I think that there is a bug in the start/stop script – I had to remove the ” — $DAEMON” line from the start command for some reason before it would work.