LIRC setup on RPi #2

After, much MUCH frustration in failing to get LIRC to recognise my remote on my spare RPi, I set it up fresh on the actual RPizeBox, just to see what happened.  The steps were something like those described on alexba.in but I am copying them here.  Spot the minor change.  Thanks alexba.in!

sudo apt-get install lirc

Add this to /etc/modules file:

lirc_dev
lirc_rpi gpio_in_pin=25

Change /etc/lirc/hardware.conf file to:

########################################################
 # /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
 #
 # Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
 LIRCD_ARGS="--uinput"
 # Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
 # START_LIRCMD=false
 # Don't start irexec, even if a good config file seems to exist.
 # START_IREXEC=false
 # Try to load appropriate kernel modules
 LOAD_MODULES=true
 # Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
 DRIVER="default"
 # usually /dev/lirc0 is the correct setting for systems using udev
 DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
 MODULES="lirc_rpi"
 # Default configuration files for your hardware if any
 LIRCD_CONF=""
 LIRCMD_CONF=""
 ########################################################

Restart lircd so it picks up these changes:

sudo /etc/init.d/lirc stop
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc start

It worked immediately.  Here are the remote codes appearing.

pi@hood ~ $ sudo irw
0000000000001826 00 0/10 Sony_RMT-CS33AD
0000000000001826 01 0/10 Sony_RMT-CS33AD
0000000000001826 02 0/10 Sony_RMT-CS33AD
0000000000001826 03 0/10 Sony_RMT-CS33AD
0000000000001826 04 0/10 Sony_RMT-CS33AD
0000000000001826 05 0/10 Sony_RMT-CS33AD
0000000000001826 06 0/10 Sony_RMT-CS33AD
0000000000001826 07 0/10 Sony_RMT-CS33AD
0000000000001826 08 0/10 Sony_RMT-CS33AD
0000000000007026 00 08 Sony_RMT-CS33AD
0000000000007026 01 08 Sony_RMT-CS33AD
0000000000007026 02 08 Sony_RMT-CS33AD

I set up pylirc the easy way this time!

sudo apt-get install python-pip
sudo pip install pylirc2

Easy.

I then downloaded the pylirc_test.py and its conf file as suggested in the Voice of Reason and optimistically ran it.  And nothing happened at all, which was very disappointing indeed.  But I am one step closer I guess.  Maddening that it didn’t work with the other RPi.

I then found this glorious page from 2009 by Will Miro.  It helped me make a config file that worked and finally I got the test page responding.  I think that is enough for now.

Leave a Reply